Friday, April 4, 2008

Signs of Spring ~ Part 2

Well the second week of spring is here and gone. It brought with it a mixed bag of weather, mild for a few days and then a bit of a spring blizzard and around 10 cm of new snow. So once again it was a challenge finding some signs of spring. But find them I did. Tucker helped.

This is the crosswalk at the bottom of my street. Cars seldom actually stop at this particular intesection which makes crossing it a challenge at the best of times. In the spring it's a pool...no a small pond of water which makes crossing it even more challenging.


They must have heard me complaining, because on our way back to the house Tucker and I saw some city workers filling in the pot holes with bags of asphalt. This is the temporary-pot-hole-fixer kind of asphalt that flies out of the pothole as soon as someone drives over it. Oh well. Its the thought that counts.

We saw three signs of spring while walking around the Glynmill Inn Pond.

There was one patch of bare ground up on a bank!

The swans are back out in the pond. Yes Sara, I know they are mean, but you would be mean too if you had your feet and ass in this cold water all day long....hssssssssss!

And a late blooming mitten tree. They usually bloom in late fall but this one seemsto be confused this year, perhaps because of the long, snowy winter. I'm still searching for a leather glove tree.

This is the most unusual sign of spring that I saw this week. This picture was taken today while I was snowshoeing along the pipeline. the pipeline is actually underneath all of this snow. In the non-snow seasons there are many places along the pipleine where it has sprung a leak. I am guessing that the heat of the spring sun has allowed this one to "Spring" forth, creating a lovely ice-fountain. Cool!

2 comments:

A Scattering said...

Your Signs of Spring ~ Part 2 is s riot! First time I've seen an outdoor mitten tree - I've encountered them at Christmas in church, but never in the wild.

littleorangeguy said...

The pipeline and the mitten tree are almost as good as the stunned grouse. The swans are still mean, though.