Sunday, November 4, 2007

Wild Flowers

I have a new hobby. its taking pictures of wild flowers. It started as just something to do while on one of my many walks with Tucker. Then it became a bit of an obsession. Its a great way to get to know the names of the flowers as its so much easier to look them up in a book when you have a digital picture on your computer. Now my goal is to identify as many different flowers as I can.




I have found four orchids.




Showy Lady Slipper


Yellow Lady Slipper ( variety makasin)

Yellow Lady Slipper ( variety pubescens)



Pink Lady Slipper


I was very proud of the 4 species of orchids until I read in my orchid book that there are 19,500 species of which 43 species and 4 varieties can be found in Newfoundland. So I have a ways to go.



Of course I'm not sticking to just orchids. here are a few more favorites.

I think this is a Hare Bell. If you look closely there is a bee or bug inside the flower,



The Twin Flower is one of my favorite woodland flowers. Its so delicate looking.

I have no idea what these are. I assume they are some kind of mushroom. All I know is that they look pretty growing in nature's green shag carpet.


2 comments:

A Scattering said...

Damn, 19,500 orchids!? 43, however, is do-able. The photos are great.

littleorangeguy said...

I love your new hobby. I'm a drive-by flower IDer -- just as I used to be a drive-by birder. One of my recent wildflower ID's was Jack-in-the-Pulpit; I had a laugh over that name.